World Homestay Guest Tips
Before you choose a Host’s home:
- Ask lots of questions
- Find out who lives in your Host’s home before you choose to stay with them. If you are a female student, you may not feel very comfortable staying with a male Host. Also, you may prefer to have children in the home.
- Ask your Host if they have any animals. Are they kept inside or outside?
- How far is their home from your school or internship? How far is the bus stop?
- Will your Host pick you up from the airport?
- Please communicate to your Host any allergies you have or any medication that you are taking.
- Always travel with Medial insurance and keep the card in a safe place. You may need to show this card to your Host when you arrive in their home.
- Ask your Host to send a picture of if they can. You can send one of yourself too. If they are picking you up at the airport, they will know what you look like.
Once you arrive in your new Homestay:
- Admit it when you are confused -don't pretend to understand it’s better to ask questions than not. Use hand gestures if needed.
- Submit payment to your Host no later than 2 days after arrival
- Bring some photos of your family and country to show your Host Family. This is a nice way for them to get to know your way of life back home.
- Dinner is the most important meal of the day but dinnertime can vary from family to family (5:30 pm to 8:00 pm) - if you are going to be late...phone. If you are not going to be home for dinner make sure you let them know this as well.
- Each Host families may serve different kinds of food - it is important that you let your family know what food you like. It’s also important to try new foods.
- If you are staying out overnight then let them know beforehand.
- If you break or damage something then let the family know right away. You will have to pay for it unless it is normal wear and tear or if the family says you do not have to.
- Offer to help your family with everyday chores - If you hope to be treated like one of the family you have to spend time with them.
- Ask permission if you want a friend to visit. The family may say no if it is not convenient and this decision must be respected.
- Keep your door key safe. If you lose it let the family know immediately.
- Do not leave lights on when you leave the home. Try to conserve energy when possible.
- Leave the bathroom and any other room clean and tidy after use.
- If you are unsure of how anything works, such as shower or television ask the family to explain.
- Do not put pictures on the wall unless you have asked permission from the family.
- If you are cold then ask for more blankets or put on an extra layer of clothing.
- Do not help yourself to food unless it is your own or the family has agreed.
- If you are unhappy about anything, then you should discuss it with the family.